Followers

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My mind is continuously blown by...







           HORITOMO.

What can I say, people constantly ask me why I commute 2 hours a day down to San Jose. "There aren't any shops closer?" they ask. My answer: HORITOMO*. I have the opportunity to work with one of the most ingenious and inspiring people I've ever met in my short time on this planet. His tattoos are constantly evolving; utilizing his vast knowledge of Japanese culture and myth, virtuoso artistic talent and unbounding creativity. What can i say... he's a cool dude.


So when Horitomo asked me to participate in his new book Immovable I was ecstatic. 2 long, hard years in the making, Horitomo has worked tirelessly, cancelling numerous appointments and forfeiting such of his earthly pleasures as fishing and riding his motorcycle, the work he put in on this project is almost unimaginable for the short time in which he put it together. I learned so much working with him on this project about the history of Esoteric Buddhism, it's founders and of course about Fudo Myo-o and his impact on the Japanese subconscious.  

His idea was to create a guide for Westerners to understand the Japanese god Fudo Myo-o. Fudo Myo-o sort of defies what westerners imagine about Japanese Buddhism. Many people hear the word Buddha and think of peace, happiness and meditation. Love and compassion blah, blah, blah, well Horitomo focuses on Fudo Myo-o, the Buddha's angry manifestation that destroys and consumes the evil passions of mankind. 

The book contains drawings that are direct copies of masterpieces of Japanese art and a series of backpiece and arm designs that were inspired by his in depth researches. There is also a font of information contained in the text, it is such a unique project and it is so beautifully drawn, I can't wait til you all get to see it. It will be released at the SFO tattoo convention we throw in October.
(these are some of Horitomo's sketches for the book, photographed by Molly Skobba)




We also have just announced that at the convention Horitomo will be conducting a seminar on drawing backpieces, needless to say I'm pretty excited to check it out! Working at State of Grace I get to draw and get critiqued by Horitomo regularly and it always completely blows my mind and helps me find resolution where it is needed as well as change my perspective and see things in ways I am unable on my own. Sharing his gifts with the world is definitely not an opportunity to be missed! Check it out here: http://www.stateofgracetattoo.com/SJConvention/info.html

Not to mention you get a copy of the book with the seminar, so just a heads up because there is limited spaces available in the seminar. Hope to see all of you there!


*To Taki, Colin, Horiken Dan and Rob: although you guys are also cool I was going for big drama with this statement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment