Followers

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Zocólalo, Visions of Mexico

This is one of my latest completed backpieces. The client came to me wanting to express his Mexican heritage with the center icon from the middle of the Mexican flag, portrayed in the style of a Japanese tattoo with full background. I was fortunate enough to be working alongside my friend Chuey Quintanar, of Good Time Charlie's Tattooland, when I was working on the drawing. He explained to me that the Aztecs had had a prophecy when they were looking to build their city, that an eagle woud land on the prickly pear cactus on a rock and kill a snake. Unfortunately when this finally occurred the rock was in the center of a lake. Unable to go against the foreseen vision, they built what would later become Mexico City on the lake. Although modern day Mexico City is currently sinking, it is an interesting story and I tried to pay homage to as many details as I could, including the two splashes of water on either side of the rock, as seen on the flag. In designing this piece I was excited about flanking my clients shoulders with the eagles wings. Also, I felt it was interesting to do so with asymetrical composition, definitely a fun challenge to draw but I mean what's more awesome than an eagle taking down a snake???


Of course I had to share one of Chuey's pieces too, he's one of my favorite black and grey artists out there.



1 comment: